Stokes pushes back on claims England are ‘Arrogant’ after Ashes defeat

Brisbane, 29 November 2025:

Captain Ben Stokes says he can handle criticism of England’s performance in the Ashes opener but believes suggestions his team are “arrogant” go too far.

England have faced intense scrutiny since squandering a dominant position and losing inside two days to Australia in the first Test in Perth. The backlash grew when the tourists chose not to send any of the XI from that match to join an England Lions fixture against the Prime Minister’s XI in Canberra.

Former Australia fast bowler Mitchell Johnson labelled England “arrogant” and “cocky Poms,” warning they were heading for “serious embarrassment.”

“You can call us rubbish, call us whatever you want, we didn’t have the Test match we wanted,” Stokes told BBC Sport. “Arrogant might be a little bit too far, but that’s OK. We’ll take the rough with the smooth. I’d rather words like ‘rubbish,’ but ‘arrogant,’ I’m not so sure about that.”

Stokes spoke as England launched five days of training in Brisbane ahead of the day-night second Test at the Gabba beginning Thursday, Dec. 4. Saturday’s optional session at Allan Border Field was cut short by rain. Only fast bowler Mark Wood sat out the workout as he continues to manage the left knee he had surgery on earlier this year.

Three squad members who did not play in Perth – Jacob Bethell, Josh Tongue and Matthew Potts have linked up with the Lions for their two-day pink-ball match in Canberra.

It was Stokes’ first public appearance since the defeat at Perth Stadium. He acknowledged the debate around England’s choice not to travel to Canberra, admitted his team must “learn” from the first Test and said he understands why supporters were frustrated.

England were not originally scheduled to play in Canberra, but the early finish in Perth created an opportunity for additional match practice with the pink ball. The touring party decided to stay together in Brisbane for reasons of morale and felt a slow, low pitch in mild conditions would not serve as ideal preparation for the heat and pace expected at the Gabba.

Former captains Michael Vaughan and Jonathan Agnew questioned the decision. Ex-skippers Michael Atherton and Alec Stewart, however, backed England’s approach.

“I do understand it,” Stokes said. “We have a pink-ball match coming up in Brisbane and we have an opportunity to play some pink-ball cricket. But there’s a lot more to it than that. You take all the factors into consideration, the pros and cons and decide what’s best for preparation.”

England had appeared in command for much of the first Test, leading by 105 runs at 65-1 in their second innings. But they then lost nine wickets for 99 runs, including a chaotic burst of 3-0 in which Ollie Pope, Harry Brook and Joe Root all fell playing aggressive drives.

The collapse intensified debate over England’s attacking style. Stokes noted that Australia’s Travis Head scored the second-fastest Ashes century in history using a similar approach but conceded England needed more precision.

“In terms of execution, could we have been better? Definitely,” Stokes said. “Sometimes decisions don’t pay off. The key for the rest of this tour is staying true to how we want to play, but also knowing we could have been a lot better in certain ways.”

Since Stokes and coach Brendon McCullum took charge in 2022, England have transformed their form, reigniting their bond with supporters. That connection was tested last week as fans who spent heavily to travel to Perth saw England lose in the first two-day Ashes Test in 104 years.

“We know there’ll be a lot of disappointed fans after that first defeat,” Stokes said. “But it’s a five-game series. We’re desperate to come home having achieved our goal of winning the Ashes and will do everything within our powers over the next four Tests to try to make that happen.”

Leave a Reply