McDonald says Australia must take ownership after Bangladesh defeat

Darwin, 17 August 2026:

Australia head coach Andrew McDonald admitted his side allowed its standards to slip in the nine-wicket defeat to Bangladesh in the first Test in Darwin, but resisted calls for sweeping changes ahead of the second Test in Mackay.

Bangladesh completed a commanding victory inside four days, leaving Australia with significant questions to address before the second and final Test, scheduled for Aug. 22-26.

“We were poor this Test match,” McDonald said. “I think we let our standards slip.”

McDonald said Australia had been well prepared for the series and cautioned against attributing the defeat solely to its preparation, while acknowledging Bangladesh had comprehensively outplayed the hosts.

“They capitalised when there was a little bit of moisture in the wicket, they made big runs and then they put us under pressure,” McDonald said. “They were patient, disciplined in the second innings. As the conditions evolved, they went stump to stump and Mehedi bowled exceptionally well and controlled the tempo of the game.”

McDonald refused to blame Australia’s batting alone, pointing to shortcomings across all three disciplines.

“There were some catches that went down. Bowling, there were periods there where we weren’t able to potentially control as well as we could have as well,” he said. “There’s three facets to the game, so to single out the batting would be unfair.”

Australia conceded about 500 runs across Bangladesh’s two innings, a return McDonald said was below the team’s standards.

“We’re better than that, but I can’t sit there and defend that,” he said. “It’s a matter of us getting to work and turning it around and looking forward to the next Test match.”

Coaches share responsibility

McDonald also accepted responsibility on behalf of Australia’s coaching staff, saying the team’s recent performances could not simply be blamed on the players.

“We believe our players are better than what they’re putting out there at the moment and that falls on us as coaches as well,” McDonald said.

“Our job is to get the best out of our playing group. To sit here and talk just wholly and solely about the playing group, it’s also on us around how we go about it, how we get the best out of our players.

“We’ve got to take some ownership in that space.”

No panic over selection

Despite the scale of the defeat, McDonald said Australia would not make changes simply as an emotional response to losing.

“We’re not emotional around change in terms of, if we lose a game, then we need change,” he said.

“We will weigh up, work through exactly what we normally work through to come to a conclusion for the best 11 that goes out there.”

McDonald, however, left open the possibility of reinforcements being added to Australia’s squad before the Mackay Test.

“It’s a very light squad that we have, which is 13,” he said. “We’ll make those decisions in the coming days as to what that looks like and potentially adding or sticking with what we’ve got.”

McDonald responds to calls for regeneration

The historic nature of the home defeat is also likely to intensify debate about the future of an experienced Australian side.

McDonald acknowledged a loss would inevitably increase scrutiny of the team’s age profile and calls for regeneration.

“It’s always going to be a conversation, the age profile of the team, where we’re at, how we’re travelling,” he said. “A loss doesn’t help that. There’s no doubt about that, but these players have got a fair bit of cricket left in them, I believe.

“The easy option is to call for change. A lot of people call for change even when we’re winning, so they’re entitled to do that as well on the back of a performance like that. Why wouldn’t they?”

McDonald said the defeat was being felt heavily within the dressing room.

“Our guys sit in that change room at the moment and they’re feeling it. You feel a Test loss,” he said.

“It means a lot to them to play for Australia, so let’s not lose that in all this as well. It’s how you move forward.”

Preparation not an excuse

McDonald also defended Australia’s preparation after questions about the team’s recent tendency to start slowly following breaks between Test assignments.

“It’s easy for me to sit here and say that our preparation was excellent and ultimately we’re going to be judged on the results that happen from the preparation,” he said.

“We’ve lost this game, so people are going to go into that space, but we truly believe that we planned really well coming in and we didn’t get the performance.

“Sometimes it’s easy to attach the performance to the preparation and that’s hindsight. We don’t live in hindsight, so we felt as though the prep we got was right.”

Bangladesh earns praise

McDonald repeatedly credited Bangladesh for its disciplined approach, particularly with the bat.

“They were very patient, disciplined and then they pounced when there was a scoring option when we gave too much width,” he said.

“I think they played incredibly well and that’s the credit to them.”

Australia will now turn its attention to the second Test in Mackay from Aug. 22-26 as it attempts to respond to the heavy defeat and avoid a series loss.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *